Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Heard About You Last Night

I cant say that I have much to say today
seems my words have all run dry again.
The miasma of blank thoughts swimming
tadpoles behind my closed eyes,
I tried once to capture the feeling of pre solstice
dark and cold, early December mornings
sneaking through a world that still sleeps
and every time I fail. There is no way to speak
the magic of those moments alone
before the sun bursts and the world's concerns
come crashing in yet again.

I often get asked what it is that draws me to biking. Why doing spend hours and hours riding this funny machine in all kinds of weather and why don't I just ride in summer like normal folk. And I tell people the I prefer winter riding to the summer in many respects. But I can never quite convey the sheer joy of the dark and silence of riding in the December world. The carelessness of riding a new trail after a fresh snow when you don't have to worry about falling because the snow creates a soft crash pad on which to land.

Some folks get it, of course. Skiers and runners- the people who spend lots time outside in the winter already. But a lot of people don't. And even if I were a better writer, I don't think I could capture the feelings I get being out there. I guess you just have to experience some things for yourself to really understand them.

So get out there this weekend, rent a fat bike or just ride the bike you already have and spend some time in the world, preferably before the sun rises and see if you can understand what I'm trying to say. I swear I'm not crazy.

Just a little nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment