Thursday, August 15, 2013

Ayil




Don't mess with the gorilla - he likes his bike. 

First day of school for the kids. I think they might be nervous, being a new school and all - but they'll get through it. I should have, really should have, waited until they were at school to head in to work today - see them off and all. The transition from summer to school year and all the little dramas that come along with it are always a challenge.

So instead, I headed out the door at 4:47, as per usual. I got to the bus stop at 5:02. I got ready for boarding the bus and stood by the stop. 5:05. No bus. 5:10. No bus. WTF? I mean, I wasn't in a hurry, but I am the type of person who gets annoyed when things don't happen according to schedule. Well, the bus finally showed up around 5:13 and everyone boarded. And we made it to Anchorage, just like every other day. Yeah, I walked into the office at 6:10 instead of 6:05, but in the grand scheme, nothing was affected by the bus being late. Maybe the change in sleep schedule has just made me crabby. I don't know.

Update on the FatMax light - It lasted all of two blocks before my home-rigged mount took a crap on me. Which isn't even that big of deal because the light itself just generally sucks. The beam is focused on a narrow point and there is very little spread at all. Which is really what I look for in a handlebar mounted light, something to spill light onto the roadway in front of me and to supplement the light on my helmet, which is more focused so that I can pick out details in the road or while on the trail. The helmet light is my laser beam - targeting the obstacles I need to see and avoid or plan for and the handlebar light is just filler. I can ride without a handlebar light. But I like having one. So, while I've already figured out how I can better mount the FatMax, I don't think I'm going to bother. Instead I think I will put it back in the package, take it back to the store, and use the 20 bucks on something else. Something that works.

There are a number of gorillas in Anchorage. They like to bike. Odd.


No comments:

Post a Comment