Friday, September 6, 2013

What does it all mean

Today's been one of those horrid days when nothing goes quite the way it should. First my alarm doesn't go off, but I was awake anyway, so it didn't matter. Then the coffee wasn't made because the grinder didn't work. Then I couldn't get things packed quite right into my backpack. Then when I go to leave, the hub on my bike is seized. So what can I do? I have to be into town by 9 to teach. I have one bike, no extra bearings, and no desire to try to get greasy before class.

So I drove to town. By myself - one of those fools driving alone in a multipassenger vehicle.

As I'm driving in, I spend a lot of time thinking about the commute, about how much I wish I were in a bus, allowing someone else drive and take the responsibility for my safety. Wishing I was able to read rather than drive. I thought about how much of a creature of habit I am and how 90% of the reason that I commute by bike has to do with the fact that it's just what I do each day - its a habit and nothing more.

There's no great failing in driving a vehicle, is there? Now, don't get me wrong. It's not something I plan on doing on a regular basis. But I'm also not going to be militantly against driving. Not that I really have been. I understand its importance. It's just not the way I want to roll.

So there is my confession. I drove today.

No comments:

Post a Comment