Tuesday, July 30, 2013

I'm still standing...

Or riding, as the case may be. Took a bit of time off from the normal roller coaster and hung out around the house. Didn't do too much in the way of work around the house. Didn't do too much of anything. Just kind of hung out.

I did, however, get a couple of really great rides in. The first was with my son and one of his friends. Riding trails with 11 year olds is a hoot. It forces me to slow down and enjoy the scenery a bit more. It also makes me keep in mind that it takes time for someone to build trail skills and that it is a constant growth pattern. I could see my son riding better than he did the prior times we went out and I could see his friend riding more confidently by the end of the ride than at the beginning.

I think went riding the trails with my oldest daughter. Teenaged daughter. Who didn't want to be there for some reason. The ride would have been a complete bummer except that we finished it off with the sighting of a pair of sandhill cranes, which turned her around. Maybe it was seeing me giddy as a school girl when I saw them. I don't know. Birds fascinate me.

Yesterday I went out on the trails by my self and blasted out a quick 15 miles. I'd say that half or more of the trails in the Crevasse Moraine system are built for XC skiing. This means a number of steep up and down hills followed quite often by nice, sharp curves. There are some of those uphills that, to be quite frank, I don't know if I'll ever be able to make it up without walking the bike. They are that steep. Not like on a well built singletrack when things are switchbacked. But, I'm already noticing that a few I've had to walk in the past I'm able to ride now. So the legs must be adapting.

Today was back to the grind and the normal early bus. The driver is back in business - he had to spend a few days in the hospital with a case of gout. Hey, all I know is I'm glad to have the early bus back in the loop. Makes the morning a bit easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment