Monday, December 16, 2013

Clean

You don't get a second chance. There are no re-dos here. So why waste the time by taking pictures?

I get it, this blog could use more pictures. The problem's are these, though - 1) When I'm riding, I like to ride. Every moment in a life is unique. There is no way to repeat anything and have it be the same as the first time. You can only do something the first time once. And each time you do something it is the first time for that time doing it. I just don't like breaking my experiences up into disconnected first times by stopping to take pictures.

2) Pictures make for weak writing. Yes, a picture is worth however many words, but they also allow us to not focus as much on telling the stories in an engaging ways using words. And I need as much help as I can get on that front.

3) I don't like the overhead of carrying a camera. I don't have a cell phone. Well, I have a work iPhone that I don't want to have with me on the trail. I have an emergency pre-paid cell that I often "forget" to bring with me and even if I did, its camera is worthless. I also always have my iPod with - a classic with no camera. I just don't want to carry anything else extra. Which leads me to my next point.

4) Riding is supposed to be a way to get away from the daily grind, right? For me, having a camera with and worrying about getting "the" shot to share with the world keeps me from being able to get away.

I love looking at other people's pictures, but I don't think I'll be joining their ranks more than occasionally. When I ride, I like to ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment