Tuesday, June 16, 2015

These Days

I'm still trying to figure it out for myself. Why did I go back to the Pugsley? Why'd I sell the Trek Farley? What is the meaning of life and why is it that I always figure shit out after the fact?

I think that some catching up is necessary here. Back at the end of the winter I put both my Pugs and the Farley on craigslist to see what would happen. I don't know that I was thinking about it all that much. I was just at a place where it seemed that having two fat bikes in the garage was a bit excessive, even though the kids were getting some use out of the Pugs. But they weren't using it too much as they are much more into skiing during the winter.

I got a bite on the Pugs and had it all lined up to sell, but in the end I backed out. Flaked. Decided that the amount I was going to sell it for was nowhere near what it was worth to me, particularly when assessing some of the fun rides my son and I had with it over the winter.

I did leave the Farley posted and updated the price a bit. I hadn't gotten any interest in that bike, so I didn't think much of it and eventually forgot that I had it posted.

Then, out of the blue I get an email asking if it was still for sale.

Sure, I say and negotiations begin.

Even before we finalized the deal I was hesitant to do it. I was just starting to get used to the bike and, again, thought about how much fun I had with the kids riding it. But then I got to thinking to myself that I could take what I get from the sale and buy a summer bike - something in a 29er. Then I could use the Pugs in the winter and have a studded bike as well, for when it gets icy.

Let's just say that that idea didn't work out. Instead, I have a single bike with a few minor upgrades.

What was my reasoning for ever thinking about going back to the Pugs, anyway?

The Farley was a nice ride. Let me just say that right off the bat. It was a fun ride. It was different than the Pugs and I didn't warm up to it right away, but I did end up having a lot of fun on the bike.

That said, something also always felt a bit off about the Trek. It seemed like no matter how I set the bars and seat and such, on rides over 20 miles or so I would end up cramped, sore, and with tingly hands.  And a good trail session would often leave me barely able to walk the next day from how badly my back would end up hurting. Fit or the harsher ride of aluminum? Not sure. All I know is on the Pugs it takes a lot more miles to get to that same place of pain.

So there's that.

Also, I have to be honest with myself and everyone else and admit that while I love trail riding the bulk of my riding is commuting. On pavement. With panniers. For that riding, the layout of the Pugs, being a bit more upright, just makes better sense.

I do worry that my trail riding will not be as much fun for a while. That I'll have to really work to get my legs back in shape for the heavier bike, that I'll not be able to huck the jumps and rail the berms the way I have been with the Farley. To this point I wouldn't know, though. I sold the Farley last Tuesday and still haven't ridden any trail with the Pugs. Hell, I even decided to work on the car over going for a bike ride yesterday. I think I have problems. Mentally.

I am feeling fit and fast on the Pugs again. Like anything, it just takes a bit of getting used to. However, I recently have started to feel that the bike ride is a bit of a chore. Not good when the weather is as amazing as it has been lately. Maybe the sense of stagnation is what led me to sell the Trek, go back to the Pugs, and not ride obsessively as I had been doing prior to a few weeks ago.

I just don't know.


Tonight I get to ride trail with a bunch of kids. That usually gets me pumped for riding a bit. If nothing else, it will be a nice way to get back on the trails with the Pugs - we'll be riding slowly no matter what, so I won't feel like I'm busting my butt and not getting anywhere. 




No comments:

Post a Comment